Pregnancy is truly an adventure. From the major changes happening to your body to the first time you experience your baby’s first kick, it’s a beautiful and life-changing journey. That said, mothers aren’t limited to experiencing the joys of pregnancy…Lern more →
Lesbian Surrogacy: Giving the Gift of Life
We often talk about gay and lesbian intended parents and how they can benefit from the services we provide at Simple Surrogacy. What if you are a lesbian who wishes to become a surrogate mother? If that is the case, please know that we welcome you to apply to become a surrogate mother at Simple Surrogacy!
What Criteria Must I Meet as a Lesbian Surrogate?
If you are a lesbian applying to become a surrogate mother at Simple Surrogacy, the criteria that you must meet are the same as those for heterosexual surrogates. You must:
- Be between 21 to 40 years of age
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Have borne a minimum of one child
- Have experienced a full-term, uncomplicated pregnancy and normal delivery
- Have a BMI of 33 or lower
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Not smoke, be exposed to secondhand smoke or take illegal drugs
- Be willing to not drink alcohol during the surrogacy process and pregnancy
- Have no sexually transmitted diseases
- Have no psychiatric illnesses/take no medication for anxiety or depression
- Have had no piercings or tattoos in the past year
- Have a reliable living situation and verify the last seven years of residency
- Have your partner or spouse’s support (if applicable)
- Not be on public assistance
- Be able to pass a criminal background check (i.e., have no felony convictions)
- Be prepared to review with a licensed attorney your Surrogacy Agreement
- Be willing to meet all contractual obligations
- Thoroughly understand Simple Surrogacy’s surrogacy process
- Be amenable to taking injectable medications, if required
- Provide us with contact information for your obstetrician/family doctor so that we can obtain your medical records
- Not have traveled to any countries in the past six months in which the Zika virus is active
Do I Have a Say in Choosing Intended Parents?
The answer to this question is, yes! As a lesbian surrogate mother at Simple Surrogacy, just as all surrogate mothers do, you will work within our matching process. You will give us preferences on what you want in an intended parent – taking into account things such as sexual orientation, marital status, background, etc. Once you are cleared through our screening process, our counselors will start to send you profiles of intended parents that meet the preferences you have told us. If you indicate to us that you like the profile of a particular set of intended parents, we will contact those parents and send them your profile to review. Only when both parties agree will a call be arranged between you and the intended parents. If all goes well, you will be set up with a medical screening, at which time you will meet the intended parents.
What Happens Next?
You, your partner or spouse, and the intended parents will all undergo medical screenings. Once everyone has been cleared, the legal contracts will be drawn up by attorneys we recommend (or someone that you know and choose to work with). The Gestational Surrogacy Agreement will be drafted, and the intended parents will sign it. You will review the agreement with your attorney, make any change requests, and sign the agreement. Then, you will be on your way to helping the intended parents fulfill their dreams!
Do you have more questions about the surrogacy process for lesbian surrogates? Please feel free to contact us at 1-866-41-SURRO or online. We will be happy to answer any and all inquiries and welcome you to explore the process of becoming a lesbian surrogate mother with Simple Surrogacy!Go back